In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Northeast Harbor Public Library

Seaside Inn, Seal Harbor, 1891

Contributed by Northeast Harbor Library
MMN Item 78872 Item Details
Seaside Inn, Seal Harbor, 1891
MMN Item 78872 Zoom

Description

This image depicts two children standing in Stanley Brook in front of Seaside Inn, formerly the Seaside House, located in Seal Harbor in 1891.

The Seaside House was a private residence owned by the Clement Family. Over the years the Seaside house went through a few transitions; first in 1870 it was renovated into a 10-room boarding house and then in 1882 a large annex was added. Then in 1891 Amos and James Clement hired Bar Harbor-based architect John E. Clark to redesign the house into a large hotel, renaming it the Seaside Inn. In 1963 it was torn down.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.